The Journal of Compressed Creative Arts is looking for, as you might guess, "compressed creative arts." We accept fiction, creative nonfiction, poetry, mixed media, visual arts, and even kitchen sinks, if they are compressed in some way. Work is published weekly, without labels, and the labels here only exist to help us determine its best readers.
Our response time is generally 1-5 days. Also, our acceptance rate is currently about 3% of submissions. We pay writers $50 per accepted piece and signed contract.
Submissions are now closed. They will open again on September 15, 2022 and close again on December 15, 2022.
If you've been previously published by the press, please wait a year until submitting again. Thanks.
The reader for your submission is, during this round of submissions, the managing editor.
Please be sure to submit in the correct category; we've been receiving several fiction submissions in the creative nonfiction category.
For all submitters, we aren't as concerned with labels—hint fiction, prose poetry, micro fiction, flash fiction, and so on—as we are with what compression means to you. In other words, what form "compression" takes in each artist's work will be up to each individual. However, we don't publish erotica or work with strong, graphic sexual content.
In short, we want to fall in love with your work. That might happen in the way we've fallen in love with work we've previously published, or it might happen in a way we have yet to experience. Maybe reading that other work will help in knowing whether you should send your work to us, but in truth, such a thing might not be discoverable.
Here are things that matter:
- Please do not include any contact information, including your name, in the manuscript. Do not include a cover letter as part of the manuscript document.
- Please include, as part of your cover letter on Submittable, a brief bio.
- Please no more than one submission of a single piece in each genre at a time. Please feel free to submit again after receiving a response.
- Simultaneous submissions are fine with us, but please let us know if the submission has been accepted elsewhere. Failure to do will result in some facsimile of your face being put on the Matter dart board. And no one wants that.
- Please format prose to be singled-spaced, 12-point Times New Roman font, in a Microsoft Word document, with an extra space between each paragraph. Poetry can be single-spaced throughout, if desired. Please format poetry as you would like it to appear when published.
- If you've been previously published by The Journal of Compressed Creative Arts, please wait a year before submitting again.
Randall Brown—the managing editor and founder—will critique your single flash piece (under 1000 words).
- Please no more than one submission of a single piece per critique. Please feel free to submit again after receiving a response.
- Please format prose to be double-spaced, 12-point Times New Roman font, in a Microsoft Word document.
- You will receive commentary directly on the piece, both in-line editing and developmental editing suggestions.
- Feel free to include in the cover leter any specific questions or concerns you have about your piece.